For photos from the Meadowlands contact Lisaphoto@playmeadowlands.com

Thursday, August 13, 2015

A Hambletonian Postscript

If you have been playing the horses for any length of time you have been a victim of a 'bad beat'; typically the victim of the racing gods.  Here is a message I received the day after the Hambletonian and after getting permission, I thought I'd share it with you.

You've got to be kidding me

I'm not sure if you were able to watch the races yesterday or went to the Hambo since you've had other things on your mind?  I'll can tell you this, I'll never forget this Hambo day. 

Talk about cursed, how can I have the only horse to break two jumps before the line on Hambo day?  Not only did the DQ in the 15th race cost me the DD, it also cost me the last Pick 3 of the meet.  I was working so I couldn't watch the race but I could run to a tv to see the results.  I knew Stacia won, whom I singled.  I checked again after the 15th race and saw the 2 had won....or I thought had won so I knew I was in shape for a nice score if the 1, 5, 8 or 10 won the 16th race so I waited for my chance to check the tv again.  From where I was selling, I could see just enough of the tv to see colors of the driver who won the 16th race and I knew it was Corey on the 10...BINGO!!!!  Or I thought BINGO.  To my great dismay, I only found out hours later when I went up to see my friends after working and being happy with myself that the racing gods smacked me down again.

My buddy says to me, "Hey, you know that 2 horse you liked, his break cost me the DD."  I must have turned as white as a sheet.  What???  He must be joking right.  This fairy tale ending couldn't end like this, could it?  Of course it can, I'm cursed.  Instead of having the meet end a great note (probably close to 2k), I'm left to wallow in you've got to be kidding me.  Racing/gambling is so cruel.


Have you ever been the victim of a bad beat?  Why not share it with us?

No comments: